Monday, November 21, 2011

God is great at throwing curve balls!

When I was in high school I was set on being a teacher. What a great career! That dream didn't last long once I was out of high school and had started college. I had a new dream job! I was going to open a doggy day care! Drooling dogs are way better than screaming bratty kids! After a while that faded out too (yes, I am very indecisive). I had left my job at a dog kennel and was determined to get a job in the school district. After about 3 months of desperately applying for every opening at the school district and other random jobs, I got an interview at Zeiter Eye. I got the job and within a few months I knew I wanted to be with the company until I retire. I should mention that after being at Zeiter eye I received a phone call from the school district and they wanted an interview. It was hard to say no since I thought it would be a great opportunity but looking back I am SO happy I declined the offer and stayed at Zeiter Eye. Not only do I love my job but I'm sure I wouldn't be employed today if I would have gone with the school district. After two years of being at the Zeiter Eye Lodi Clinic I was moved to the surgery center. This is where God decided to show me what I'm really supposed to be doing with my life.
I work closely with the nurses at the surgery center. About a year ago a few of them started telling me that I would make a great nurse and that I should look into it. I thought I was too old to go back to school for 4+ years and I certainly didn't want to leave my wonderful job/company. After a while I began to realize how much I truly love helping people and even though I get to have patient contact now, I don't get to be directly involved in their care as much as I'd like. So I have decided to go back to school!!! Of course there are other reasons I want to become a nurse. I can make more money, have more flexibility, job security, and there is SO much you can do as a nurse. I am so excited at what this will mean for my future family. I will be able to spend more time with my children and provide for them better then I could if I didn't go to school.
I have wonderful friends who are excited for me and supportive. I have a wonderful boyfriend, Eric, who is prepared (as much as he can be) for the stressed out, possibly broke, girlfriend that he is about to have. And I am especially thankful for my parents who are allowing me to move back into their house (yup, they thought I was finally gone for good!). They are also being very supportive. I appreciate all that my parents have done, and continue to do for me. They really are the best parents!
This is going to be a long road, especially since everyone has decided that nursing is for them which means that classes are filled quicker than they open and the program is very competitive to get into, but I know with the love and support of my parents, friends, and Eric that I will be successful!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you applied to school districts! God is good that you didn't get those jobs, for sure!! :)

    ReplyDelete